- Access Genealogy - http://www.accessgenealogy.com -
1850 Gazetteer of Halwell England
Posted By Dennis Partridge On In Genealogy | No Comments
HALWILL, or Holwell, a small village, 6 miles S. by W. of Totnes, and 7 miles W. by N. of Dartmouth, has in its parish 445 souls, and 3666A. 2R. 28P. of lands, including Washbourne hamlet (38 souls,) and a number of scattered farm-houses. The soil is various, and on the higher grounds are vestiges of two entrenchments. The manor was anciently held by the Halghwiks, and afterwards by the Verneys and Hales, but was dismembered many years ago. The parish is now mostly freehold, and belongs to J. Cornish, Esq., S. Savory, Esq., Mrs. Bastard, Hele’s Charity, N. Moysey, Esq., and several smaller owners. The Church (St. Leonard,) is an ancient structure, in the perpendicular style, with a fine lofty tower and six bells. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Harbeton, but has recently been endowed by the present vicar as a separate curacy, in his patronage, and is now held by the Rev. Henry Hare, who has a new handsome residence.The tithes were commuted in 1839, the rectorial for £235, and the vicarial for £132. 10s. The former belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, but are held on lease by R. Hellyar, Esq. Here is a National School, built in 1839; and an Independent Chapel, erected in 1831. Five houses and 5½A. of land have been long vested for the use of the church and poor, but are let for only about £7 per annum.
Article printed from Access Genealogy: http://www.accessgenealogy.com
URL to article: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/genealogy/1850-gazetteer-of-halwell-england.htm
Copyright © 2013 Access Genealogy (http://www.accessgenealogy.com/). All rights reserved.