Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The progenitor of the Lyon family in Connecticut was William Lyon, born in 1675, who when fourteen years of age, came with an uncle to Woodstock and settled on the homestead farm now owned by Mrs. William Lyon and Mrs. Emma Lyon Frink. William Lyon, his eldest son, born in 1700, was the father of eight children, of whom Elijah, born in 1727, had among his children a son William, born November 11th, 1778, who was the father of William 4th, the subject of this biography, born October 7th, 1801. His birthplace was the homestead farm, which has passed by inheritance into the hands the eldest son in the successive generations of the family since it was first acquired.
Mr. Lyon received a common school education and was early made familiar with the details of a farmer’s life by his father, with the hope that he would succeed to his calling. The bent of his son’s mind lay in the direction of a trade, and the skill with which he, unaided, erected the frame and built a barn on the farm, decided his fate as a carpenter and master builder. This trade he followed with great success for many years, his services having been in general demand in both town and county.
On the 31st of October, 1832, when thirty-one years of age, he married Harriet, daughter of Benjamin Green, of Thompson. Their Children are a daughter Emma, Mrs. Frink, and a son Origen, who entered the army during the late war, was in several engagements and died from disease contracted during his period of service. William Lyon on his marriage built and removed to the dwelling now occupied by Marquis Green, where for fourteen years he resided. He then returned to the homestead, where his death occurred February 9th, 1859. He was actively interested in the political issues of the day, and as a whig was elected to the legislature and to various important offices in the town. He possessed mature judgment, a fund of strong common sense, and was highly esteemed as an influential citizen. In early years Mr. Lyon united with the Baptist church, of what was known as Quasset.