William Paterson, who represents South Brant, in the House of Commons, is a son of James and Martha (Lawson) Paterson, of Aberdeen, Scotland, and grandson of Rev. Mr. Paterson, minister for years at Midmar, Scotland. His parents came to Upper Canada, nearly fifty years ago, and he was born in Hamilton, September 19, 1839. He was educated in that city and at Caledonia, in the County of Haldimand; came to Brantford in 1854, and was a clerk in a general store, until 1863, when he commenced the bakery business, and manufacture of confectionery, being for several years in company with Henry B. Leeming. Since 1876 he has been alone. His bakery and confectionery are operated by steam, with all the latest and best methods of manufacture introduced into his works, and he is doing a business, in the three departments of industry mentioned, of about $150,000 a year. He has the genuine pushing disposition, and probably no manufacturer in the city does a more prosperous business. He is a straightforward, high minded man, and has an honorable standing in the community.
Mr. Paterson was elected a member of the Town Council of Brantford, in 1868; was subsequently Deputy Reeve for three years 1869, 1871, and Mayor in 1872. At the general election, in the last named year, he was elected to Parliament, defeating Hon. Francis Hincks, the then Finance Minister, and was re-elected in January, 1874, and September, 1878. He is a Liberal or Reformer, and, so far as we can learn, is popular with his party, and faithfully re presents his constituency in the House of Commons.
Mr. Paterson is a member of the Independent Church, and maintains a high character for rectitude and purity of life. He was a member of the Executive Committee of the Ontario Sabbath School Association for three years.
His wife was Miss Lucy Clive Davies, daughter of Timothy C. Davies, of Brantford, married in September, 1863. They have two children living, and have buried two.