John White, one of the leading men in the County of Halton, and for years a member of the Canadian Assembly and Dominion House of Commons, was born near Omagh, County of Tyrone, North of Ireland, June 8, 1811. His father, Thomas White, was a carpenter and joiner and farmer. His grandfather was from Perth, Scotland, and his ancestors on both sides were Scotch. When our subject was eleven years old the family came to “Little York,” and settled on a farm in Etobicoke. He was educated in a common school in. the old country, and a Grammar School in Toronto, taught by Mr. Padfield, who afterwards took holy orders in the English Church.
In 1834 Mr. White left Etobicoke, and settled on a farm of 200 acres near Milton, clearing the larger portion of it, and making additions from time to time. He is now working two farms near the town of Milton, and has other farms rented, being one of the most pushing men and enterprising agriculturists in the county.
In 1841 Mr. White built saw mills near Bronte, and was engaged in manufacturing lumber, disposing of this business and settling in the town of Milton, in October, 1855, and has here resided all these years, although the land which he cultivates, 300 acres are inside the corporation.
Mr. White was in the District Council of the Gore District for nine years; and has been a magistrate since 1844.
In 1851 he contested the County of Halton with Dr. Hamilton, of Flamboro West, and was elected; was defeated by Colonel George K. Chisholm, of Oakville, in 1854; defeated him in return in 1857, and continued in the Canadian Assembly and House of Commons, representing this riding constantly until 1874, when he was defeated.
Mr. White is an out and out Reformer, and a man of great influence in the councils of the party. During the civil war in the United States, his sympathies were strongly with the North.
Mr. White was an officer under the old militia law, being Captain and Adjutant; was a long time connected with the township and county Agricultural Societies, aiding all he could to further their interests; and to a certain extent was instrumental in promoting the railroad system of the county and country. He is a man of much public spirit, of indomitable energies, and is wonderfully active for one who is so near his seventieth year.
Mr. White entered the Masonic Order in 1844, but has never gone above the Master of a lodge. He also joined the Odd Fellows in 1851, but soon discontinued meeting with the fraternity. His religious membership is in the Presbyterian Church.
Mr. White was first married in 1836, to Miss Mehitable Post, of the township of Trafalgar, County of Halton, she dying the next year, leaving one son, who is still living; and the second time in 1849, to Miss Louisa Knight, of the city of Hamilton, and he has three children by this union.