One of the “landmarks” of Allanburgh, still living here, is Baruch Tucker, who came to this place in 1834, from Dorsetshire, England, where he was born December 25, 1812. The Welland canal had been opened five years before his arrival, in the year mentioned, direct from the old country. Farms were thick along the line of the canal. Allanburgh was springing up; there was a fair demand for carpenters, he had learned that trade, found work at once, and having no disposition to “tramp,” has never left the place. He worked at his trade until 1839, when he rented, of the Government, a grist and saw mill, and was milling until 1872, when he retired from business.
In 1837, when the rebellion broke out, he shouldered a musket and served a short time, being however, in no skirmish or battle.
Allanburgh is in the township of Thorold, and when the village council was organized, he was a member the first term. He was afterwards treasurer of the township; served at one time as constable, and was appointed magistrate two or three times, but declined to act. He appears to have preferred the quiet of private life. He is a man of excellent character, and highly esteemed by his neighbors. When the Port Robinson and Allanburgh macadamized road was built, he became a director, and has since been president of the company.
In November 1839, Mr. Tucker married Miss Ann Carter, of Allanburgh, and they have buried four children, and have four living. Emma, John, and Baruch are living in Allanburgh, Baruch Tucker, junior, being postmaster; and Jane is the wife of Rev. Thomas Cardus, of Lyndonville, Orleans county, N. Y.
Note. One of the very first families in Allanburgh, were the Uppers, United Empire Loyalists from New York, coming here near the close of the Revolution, the Government granting them 200 acres of land. The township of Thorold was a complete wilderness then. The original farm is now in the hands of Walter and Joseph Upper, sons of Joseph Upper, senior, and grandsons of the U. E. Loyalist. The Uppers are one of the leading families in Allanburgh and its vicinity.