John Strutt Lauder, Rector of Christ church, is descended from an old Scotch family, some of whose members emigrated to Ireland, two or three centuries ago. He was born in the town of Moate, county of West Meath, Ireland, March 22, 1829, his parents being Thomas Bernard and Harriet (Gilland) Lauder. His father was a Captain in the 11th regiment of Her Majesty’s army.
The subject of this short sketch came to Canada in 1849; was educated at Trinity College, Toronto, where he graduated B.A., and M.A.; was ordained Deacon by Bishop Strachan, of Toronto, October 2, 1853, and priest October 8, 1854.
He became curate of St. George’s church, St. Catharines, October 3, 1853, rector of Carlton Place, November 10, 1854, of Merrickville, in August, 1866, and of Christ church, Ottawa, October 1, 1367, still holding the last position. In 1874 he was appointed Archdeacon of Ottawa, by his Lordship, the Bishop of Ontario, whose sketch is elsewhere given in this volume. In 1876 the degree of D.C.L. was conferred upon him by his alma mater, Trinity College.
Since settling in Ottawa, Archdeacon Lauder has been very industrious in his Master’s work. In addition to his labors in his own church, it was under him that the congregation of St. John’s church was gathered, and organized. He has also done much missionary work in the vicinity of Ottawa, being indefatigable in his efforts to advance the Redeemer’s kingdom.
In 1865 he raised the funds for building the parsonage, a fine stone house, which he now occupies; and in 1873 Christ church edifice was rebuilt, on a greatly enlarged scale, nearly all the material in the old building being utilized in the new, which is among the largest and most beautiful houses of worship in Ottawa. Of this work of rebuilding, also, the Archdeacon had the oversight, giving a great deal of time to raising money, being heartily supported by his congregation.
In 1856 Henrietta S., daughter of Captain John B. Lewis, of Her Majesty’s 88th regiment, became the wife of Archdeacon Lauder, and they have three children; Thomas Bernard, Alfred Ernest and Frederick Henry.
The Archdeacon has a full, clear and well modulated voice, and is a beautiful reader and a forcible speaker. As a preacher he is always earnest and at times very pathetic. His faithful labors in Ottawa and elsewhere, evidently have, in large measure, been very successful.