Among the legal fraternity, the oldest resident in Collingwood, is George Moberly, a native of Yorkshire, England. His birth is dated September 16, 1830. His father was Captain John Moberly, of the Royal Navy, who was in several engagements under Lord Nelson; and his mother was Mary Fock, of Polish descent, hers being also a military family.
When George was about four years old, the family came to Upper Canada, living a short time in Cobourg, Toronto and Penetanguishene, and a longer period at Barrie. At the last named town our subject received a grammar school drill and studied law with Hon. James Patton, and was called to the Bar at Hilary term in 1862; when he opened his office, and he soon had a good rim of business, which has kept up a steady flow. Mr. Moberly practices in all the Courts of the Province and the Dominion, and is regarded as a sound, and eminently trustworthy barrister. His business is general and includes a good deal of conveyancing.
At an early day in Collingwood, Mr. Moberly had an interest in steamboats running to Sault Ste. Marie; was also a stockholder in a flax mill, and has now an interest in a foundry; also in tugs, barges and wrecking material, and shows in many ways his public spirit and enterprise.
Mr. Moberly had at one period three years’ experience in the town council, and subsequently was mayor for five consecutive years, when he peremptorily declined to serve any longer. He has been a school trustee at sundry times, and is now chairman of the public school board. He seems to have been very generous in the amount of time he has given to the interests of the town.
He is President of the West Simcoe Conservative Association, and an influential man among his party, but we have no knowledge that he ever craves an office. In this respect he seems to stand ready to help others rather than himself.
His religious connection is with the Church of England, and at sundry times he has been warden of All Saint’s church, Collingwood. He bears an irreproachable character.
The wife of Mr. Moberly was Miss Fanny Maria O’Brien, of Shanty Bay, married October 15, 1860. They have three children.