Rev. B. L. Baldridge was born in Adams County, Ohio, February 9, 1821.
His father, Rev. William Baldridge, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1760. He served in the Revolutionary war at the age of sixteen years, and for many years after its close was an active minister in the United Presbyterian Church. He graduated from college in 1790, was licensed to preach in 1792, was ordained in 1793, and died October 31, 1830.
The subject of this biographical sketch was educated at Miami University and subsequently studied theology at Oxford. He was ordained January 10, 1851, at Centerville, Michigan, by the United Presbyterian Church. He served as pastor of the Associate Reformed church in Centerville, Michigan, for seven years. In 1857 he was sent as a missionary to Leavenworth, Kansas. Here he organized a United Presbytertian Church and was settled as pastor until 1874; then served as chaplain in the Kansas State prison for about two years. June 3, 1876, he was commissioned Chaplain in the United States army, and continued in this position until 1884, when he was retired. At the time of his retirement he was stationed at Angel Island, California.
Mr. Baldridge was married July 27, 1859, at Goshen, Indiana, to Miss Sarah M. Gilmore, a daughter of John and Harriet (Crane) Gilmore. They have two children, viz.: Mary H., now Mrs. Lieutenant R. H. R. Loughborough, who is in the regular army and stationed at Port Missoula, Montana; John G., who is still at home.
In 1884 Mr. Baldridge bought a nice little fruit ranch in Highland district, which he has improved and where he at present resides, retired from active work, except such as is necessary to keep things in order on the ranch. Politically he is a strong advocate of the principles of the Prohibition party and by his voice and vote is doing all he can in favor of the temperance cause.