Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Dr. Charles W. Packard is a well known early settler of the Riverside colony and has for many years been identified with the horticultural interests that have made Riverside so well known. He came to this colony in 1876 and located at Bandini Avenue, about one-half mile west of Brockton Avenue; his twenty acres formed a portion of the Brockton Square. At that time but few improvements had been made in that section, but the Doctor entered heartily into clearing and planting his lands. He was one of the first to foresee the future profits in orange-growing, and planted fully ten acres of his tract with seedling oranges: the balance he devoted to grapes and deciduous fruits, which at a later date he replaced with oranges. He was successful as a horticulturist and established one of the finest groves in the colony. In 1882 he sold eight acres from the eastern portion of his tract. He is now the owner of twelve acres which, with the exception of a small portion planted with deciduous fruits for family use, is devoted to orange culture. He has a representative grove under a high state of cultivation and prolific in yield.
Dr. Packard is a native of New England, dating his birth in Abington, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, in 1846. In addition to his horticultural pursuits the Doctor has been in the practice of his profession during nearly all his years in Riverside. In 1886 he transferred his dental parlors to the city, and now has well-appointed rooms and office in Castleman’s Block, corner of Main and Eighth streets. He is one of the pioneer dentists of the colony, a master of his calling, and thoroughly practiced and skilled in his work. These qualities, together with his genial temperament and honest business dealings, have secured him not only a liberal patronage, but the esteem of a large circle of friends and acquaintances. His interests are identified with Riverside, and he is always found supporting such public enterprises as advance her welfare. In politics he is a Republican. He is a consistent member of the Congregational Church and also a member of the Masonic fraternity, still retaining his membership in the Paul Revere Lodge, of Brockton.
The Doctor was married in 1876 to Miss Sarah Delano, of Fair Haven, Massachusetts. Her father, Captain Jabez Delano, was a well-known resident of that place. The two children from that marriage are: Ella D. and an infant daughter.