Abraham A. Sulcer, M. D., a successful physician of Riverside, during the few years of his residence there, has taken a pre-eminence in the medical circles of that city that strongly attests not only his skill as a physician and surgeon, but the respect and esteem awarded him by the community. He was born in Butler County, Ohio, in 1839, his parents being Henry and Catherine (Van Horn) Sulcer, the former a native of Virginia, who spent his life in pioneer farming in Ohio and Indiana, dying in Arnold County; the latter, born in Kentucky, was a descendant of one of the most prominent families of that State.
When A. A. Sulcer, the subject of this sketch, was a year old his parents removed to Indiana, settling in Carroll County, where he passed his boyhood and young manhood on a farm. In 1850 he located in Vermilion County, Illinois, and there entered upon a course of medical studies under the tutorship of Dr. John Mc-Elroy, a prominent physician of that county, and later the Surgeon of the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteers. Dr. Sulcer continued his studies until 1862, when he threw aside books, abandoned his life’s project, and offered his services to his country. He enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was promoted to be Sergeant. His command was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, and he participated in the battles of Champion Hills, Chattanooga, and others. After serving a year in the ranks his abilities were demanded in the Medical Department, and he was promoted to be Hospital Steward and placed on duty in the Field Hospital Corps. His efficiency and skill were noted and promotion offered. In 1864 he went before the Illinois State Medical Board of Chicago, and passed their examination with honor, was commissioned as Assistant Surgeon, and assigned to duty in the Department of the Gulf. Dr. Sulcer continued his services until the close of the war, receiving his honorable discharge June 20, 1865.
He then returned to his studies and entered the Rush Medical College of Chicago, graduating from that institution in 1866, when he established himself in the practice of his profession in Vermilion County. For the next twenty years the Doctor was engaged in a successful practice, and made his residence in Danville, that county, where he took a prominent stand, professionally, politically and socially. In political matters he is a sound Republican, an eminent worker in the ranks of his party, but not an aspirant for political honors. He was a member and president of the Board of Trustees of Danville, and was besought to accept other positions of honor and trust. In 1886 he decided to seek a residence upon the Pacific coast, located in Riverside, and established his office in the Oppenheim Block. His residence is on Almond street, between Tenth and Eleventh.
Dr. Sulcer has interested himself in real estate dealings and horticultural pursuits, purchasing a ten-acre tract of land on Iowa avenue in the Whitney tract. Upon this he planted Washington Navel orange trees in 1888.
Dr. Sulcer is a member of Riverside Post, No. 118, G. A. R., and is prominent in other fraternal societies. He is a member of lodge, chapter and commandery of the Masonic order, and was for many years Master of his lodge in Danville. He is also a member of the Methodist Church.
The Doctor was married in 1870 to Miss Mary J. Durham, a native of Illinois. They have two children-Cullen Bryant and Henry Durham.