Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
George W. Ford, proprietor of the Santa Ana Nursery, is one of the first settlers of the valley, arriving here in 1876, with only $10. The previous year he had been working by the day in Santa Cruz County. Two years later he purchased five acres of land within the city limits, for $400, and to this he has since added twenty-five acres more, most of which he has cut up into city lots and sold at good prices. In his nursery may be seen all kinds of deciduous and semi-tropical fruits and ornamental trees and shrubs. He has recently erected a fine residence on Ross Street, in the northwestern part of the city, which for convenience, comfort, beauty of location and architectural finish would be an ornament to any city.
Mr. Ford was born in Perry County, Illinois, in 1848. His father, John Ford, was a native of Kentucky, and one of the first settlers of Illinois, moving there when it was a Territory. By industry, economy and enterprise, Mr. Ford had worked himself up in the world, and has shown himself worthy of the confidence and esteem of those with whom he has done business. He is recognized as one of Santa Ana’s most industrious and enterprising citizens, and is ready to help along any undertaking which has for its object any public good.