The number of tithables in Elizabeth City County, in 1748, was 1078, which was more than double what it was at the close of the preceding century. In 1759, the number was 1428, which showed a population of 4284.
In 1752 the list of the military officers for Elizabeth City County was as follows: Wilson Cary, County Lieutenant, John Hunter, Colonel, John Tabb, Major of Horse, Robert Armistead, Major of Foot. The whole militia consisted of one company of foot and two troops of horse. The captains according to the dates of their commissions were Cary Selden, captain of 100 men, Charles King, captain of a troop of 66 men, Westwood Armistead, captain of a troop of 60 men.