GRESLEY, of DRARELOW, co. Derby.
29 June 1611.
Sir ROGER GRESLEY, Bart., born 27 Dec. 1799, succeeded
his father, sir Nigel-Bowyer, 26 March 1808, married, 2 June 1821, lady
Sophia Coventry, youngest da. of George-William, present earl of Coventry,
and has issue, Sophia-Editha, L.14 Oct. and d. 2 Nov. 1823.
This family derives its descent from NIGELL, de GRESLEY,
who founded the monastery of Gresley, and is mentioned in Doomsday-Book as
holding Drakelowe (still the chief seat of the family), and several other
lordships in Derbyshire and Stafford. shire: 1 6th in descent from the
said Nigell, was
Sir THOMAS GRESLEY, of Drakelow, knt., who m.
Katherine, da. of the celebrated sir Thomas Walsingham, knt., and had
issue by her a son and h.,
I. Sir GEORGE, the 1st Bart. He served in parliament for
Newcastle-under-Line; m. Susan, da. of sir Humphrey Ferrers, knt., and had
1. Thomas, m. Bridget da. of sir Thomas Burden, hart., and d.
during the life of his father, having had 10 children:
3. George, who d. infants
4. Sir THOMAS, 2d hart.
5. Frances, m. John Whitehall, esq.
6. Bridget, m. Thomas Brome esq.
7. George, m. Jane da. of Thomas Nelson, and d. without issue.
8. Catharine, m. Richard Dyot, esq.
9. Elizabeth, m. Philip Traffoxd
10. Mary, m. sir John Harpur, lent.
2. Elisabeth, unm.
3. Dorothy, m., 1st, Robert Melward • and, 2dly, Edward W
Sir George was succeeded by his grandson,
II. Sir THOMAS, m. Frances, da. and co-h. of Gilbert Morewood, esq., and
1. Frances, m. William Inge, esq.
2. Bridget,- 3. Elisabeth, d. infants.
4. Dorothy, m. Thomas Ward.
5. Mary, m. Daniel Watson, esq.
6. Grace, m. Robert Ruby.
7 Sir WILLIAM, 3d bart.
11. Thomas, m. Elizabeth, da. of John Lee, gent., and had issue--1. Lee
--2. Willia-3. John--4. Elizabeth.
12. Isabel, d. Rom.
13. Charles, m. Anne, da. and co-h. of John Bell, gent., left 3 das., his
coheirs-1. Elizabeth, m. Thomas Bott-2. Frances-3. Anne.
14. Sarah, m. Paul Balladou, esq.
Sir Thomas d. 15 June 1699, and was succeeded by his
III. Sir WILLIAM m. Barbara, da. of John Walcot, esq.) and relict
of Richard Okeley, esq., and had,
1. Sir THOMAS, 4th bart.
2. William, d. an infant.
3 Bridget, m. Adam Ottley, esq.
Sir William d. 17 Oct- 1711, and was succeeded by his
only surviving son,
IV. Sir THOMAS, m., 1st, 1719, Dorothy, da. and co-h. of sir
William Bowyer, hart., by whom he had issue 7 sons and 3 das.,who all d.
1. Sir THOMAS, 5th bart.
2. Sir NIGEL, 0th bart.
He m., 2dly, Gertrude, da. and co-h. of John Grammar,
esq., by whom he had 2 children,
3. Gertrude, d. in her infancy.
4. Geoffry, d. in America, leaving-1. Thomas. d. in 1798--2 a da.,
m. the rev. Willoughby.
Sir Thomas d. 1746, and was succeeded by his son,
V. Sir THOMAS, M.P. for Lichfield, m. Wilmot, da. of Mr. Hoed,. of
Leicester, by whom he had only one da.,
Wilmot, m. her cousin, sir Nigel, 7th bart.
Sir Thomas d. of the small-pox 1753, and was succeeded
by his brother,
VI. Sir NIGEL, m., 1753, Elizabeth, da. of the rev. Mr. Wynn, of
Cheshire, by whom he had,
1. NIGEL-BOWYER, 7th bart.
2. Anne, m. Sir John Heathcote, knt., and d. Sept. 1797.
5. Louisa, m. the rev. William Gresley, of Nether Seal, co.
6. Harriet, m. John Jelly gent.
7. Mary, m. rev. Baptist-Jon Proby, eldest son of the dean of
Sir Nigel d. 7 April 1787, aged 60, and was succeeded
by his son,
VII. Sir NIGEL-BOWYER, m., 1st, in 1777, his cousin, Wilmot, only
da. and h. of sir Thomas, the 5th bart. (whereby the title and estates,
which had been separated on sir Thomas's death, became reunited), and by
her (who d. 4 Dec. 1790) had issue,
1. Wilmot-Maria, m. the rev. T. Levett, of Lichfield.
2. Emma-Sophia, m, 16 Aug. 18013, Richard-Edensor Heathcote, of
Langton Hall, co. Stafford, esq.
3. Elizabeth-Augusta, d. Nov. 1805.
Sir Nigel m., 2dly, 26 June 1796, Maria-Eliza, da. and
h. of Caleb Garway, of Worcester, esq., and had issue:
4. Almeria-Geogiana-Maria, d. Jan. 1798.
5. Louisa-Georgiana-Maria, b. 17 July 1798, m. 22 March 1822,
rev. Edward Woodyat, M.A.
6. Sir ROGER, present bart.
7. Nigel, b. 15 March 1801, and d. 19 May 1816.
Sir Nigel d. 26 March 1808, and was succeeded by his
VIII. Sir ROGER, the present bart.
Arms--Vairy, ermine and gales.
Crest--A lion passant argent, guttá
de sang, collared, gales.
Motto--Meliore fide quám
Seats--At Drakelow, in Derbyshire, and Knipersley, in