Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
ROBERT DOW ENGLAND. In no line of commerce or in no professional calling are the requirements more exacting than in the vocation followed by the druggist, and among the efficient men engaged in that business in Quitman, Arkansas, is Robert Dow England, who conducts an attractively and neatly fitted store which is stocked with a superior line of fresh drugs, medicines, chemicals, toilet articles, etc., which will compare favorably with any similar establishment in the county. He owes his nativity to Faulkner County, Arkansas, where he first saw the light January 18, 1860, a son of John and Lovesta (Hamilton) England, both of whom were born in East Tennessee. The mother is now a resident of Quitman, Arkansas, but the father died in 1871, at the age of fifty-five years. He was a farmer by occupation and his eldest son was in the Confederate service.
Robert Dow England was among the youngest of a family of thirteen children, and his literary ‘education was acquired in Quitman College. After assisting his mother on the farm for some time he became a dry goods salesman, at Conway, Faulkner County, Arkansas, and later was associated with the drug business at Greenbrier. In 1886 he became proprietor of a drug establishment in Quitman. In 1884 he was married to Miss Eugenia Hall, by whom he has four children, three of whom are now living-one son and two daughters. A son is deceased. In addition to his other enterprises, Mr. England continued his farming operations in Faulkner County until 1886, on a portion of the farm left him by his father, but since that time has been one of the active business men of Quitman and has been very successfully engaged in the drug business. In 1893 he was a member of the firm that built the Roller mill at this place and for one year was the efficient secretary and general manager of the same. Mr. England also did his share in furthering the erection of the college at this place, and in many ways has shown that he is public spirited and enterprising. His establishment is well patronized, for it has been found that he is careful and accurate and his earnest desire is to please his patrons. In July, 1893, he was received in the Masonic Lodge, No. 158, and in July, 1894, was made a Royal Arch Mason, in Lodge No. 32.