JOHN O. MORROW. Activity and business enterprise is in no direction more lucidly marked in any city than in the livery business. This calling is the pulse of a city’s enterprise and vim. The experience and brain work of capable business men are called into requisition in this line, and a city that is noted for its transient patronage as well as its busy home life is sure to give good profits to the liveryman. One of the most popular establishments of this kind is that owned by John O. Morrow, which was established in Harrison in 1889, and as he has all his life been a great admirer of that noble animal, the horse, he chose this calling out of true adaptability for it. He was born in Christian County, Missouri, near Ozark, October 28, 1856,
John O. Morrow, son of N. B. and N. S. Morrow, who were among the early pioneers of that section. N. B. Morrow was killed at his home in Christian County; at about the close of the war by bushwhackers, having been a successful agriculturist throughout life and a resident of that county from 1832. He was also at one time engaged in merchandising in Ozark. The maternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch, Samuel McDonald, was a pioneer of Christian County, became influential throughout southwest Missouri, and was a prosperous farmer and stock-man.
The early life of John H. Morrow was spent in Ozark and Springfield, and after attending the public schools of these places he finished his education in Drury College. At the age of about twenty years he engaged in farming and shipping stock on his own responsibility, became well known in the latter industry and was at one time associated in this business with A. F. Yoachim. Mr. Morrow continued to follow this calling in Ozark and Christian Counties until he came to Harrison, but upon his arrival in this city he purchased a livery stable, which unfortunately burned down in 1891. In company with the King brothers he then bought the brick building in which he is now doing business, but in 1892 purchased their interest and then took G. R. Speer in as a partner. In 1893 this gentleman disposed of his interest to R. J. Martin, which connection still exists. This gentleman keeps only the best stock of animals, from twenty to thirty head, and all kinds of vehicles for light and heavy driving, and especially caters to the commercial trade. His horses and rigs are stylish and attractive, are at all times ready for use, and it is needless to say that his house is liberally patronized. He is a member of the A. F. & A .M., Harrison Lodge No. 314, and in politics has always been a Democrat and an active worker for the success of the party wherever he has lived. He is in every sense of the word a self-made man, and by careful attention to his affairs has met with success financially. He is considered an excellent judge of horseflesh, is merciful and painstaking with the animals in his stable, and is one of the very foremost men in his line of business in the county. He has been to some extent, a dealer in real estate and owns some valuable property in Harrison. He was the first man to bring stock of fine breed to Boone County, and has done much to improve the grade of stock in this section, being the owner of a fine imported horse and jack. Mr. Morrow was married in Christian County to Miss E. J. Ball, a daughter of John Ball, an early pioneer of the county, and their union has resulted in the birth of one child: Daisy. Mrs. Morrow is a member of the Christian Church.