MOSES P. COVENTON. Among the most esteemed and respected citizens of Baxter County, Arkansas, there is not one who has a larger circle of friends, or is a more pleasant or agreeable member of society, or a more thoroughgoing, wide-awake agriculturist than the gentleman whose name is mentioned above, He is a native of De Kalb County, Ga., born in 1833, a son of James and Elizabeth (Hill) Coventon, who were born in South Carolina and Georgia. respectively.
In 1876 the father died in Cherokee County, Ga., when about seventy years of age, and his wife was called from life when seventy-five years old. James Coventon was a farmer, acquired a competency as a tiller of the soil, and was a man whom to know was to esteem. Moses P. Coventon was one of seven children, and was educated in the public schools of Georgia and Alabama.
He remained with and assisted his father until he attained his twenty-second year, then was married to Miss Mary Jane Dilbeck, a native of De Kalb County, Ala. To their union the following children were born: James N., a farmer of this county; Sarah, wife of J. H. Angelin, a farmer near Cassville; Emily, wife of L. N. McGee, a resident of the Choctaw Nation; Adaline, wife of Bud McGee, also of the Choctaw Nation, and Martha, wife of J. W. Reed, a farmer of Marion County. After his marriage Mr. Coventon resided for some time in De Kalb County, Ala., then moved to Cherokee County of the same State, but during the Civil War resided with his father in Georgia. In the spring of 1862 he enlisted in the Forty-eighth Alabama Infantry, Company B, in which he served until the battle of Gettysburg was fought, when he was severely wounded in the left hip, and although the wound was supposed to be mortal he recovered. He was in the engagement at Seven Pines, the seven days’ fight around Richmond, Cedar Mountain, and through Maryland to Gettysburg. He was a brave soldier, faithful to the Southern cause, to which he gave valuable aid. After the war he emigrated to Marion County, Arkansas, and after residing there on a farm for fifteen years he came to Cassville, and afterward traded farms with Maj. H. H. Hilton. He now has 279 acres of land, just half way between Cassville and Mountain Home, besides 160 acres of land in another tract. His home place at first contained 280 acres, but one acre was given to the Hopewell Baptist Church before he came in possession of this land. Although an ardent Democrat in politics he has never had official aspirations, but much prefers to devote his attention to his agricultural interests. He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and are deservedly classed among the substantial citizens of their section.