The question of a free grammar school in Fryeburg was first agitated by Rev. Wm. Fessenden, D. D., the first gospel minister settled in town. Through his efforts such a school was established in 1791, and was held in a little building at the foot of Pine Hill where fifty pupils were gathered. The year
The first appropriation made by the voters of Fryeburg for the maintenance of public schools was in September 1777, at a meeting held for providing for assessing taxes on all the property in town. £60 was voted for schools. The following year but one school was kept in town, and as yet no house erected
Before the encroachment of pale faced settlers, the entire valley of the Saco and its tributaries was peopled by the numerous Sokokis Indians. These were considered the parent tribe of the Abenaki Nation, which at one time peopled the whole of Maine. One of the most eloquent and statesmanlike of their chiefs once said in
Physicians The earliest skilled physician to locate in Fryeburg was Dr. Joseph Emery who came here from Andover, N. H., in 1778. He was also the earliest merchant. He was followed by Josiah Chase of Canterbury, two years later. Joseph Benton, Stephen Porter, Oliver Griswell, Eliphalet Lyman, a graduate of Yale, removed to Lancaster, N.
A grant of the township of Fryeburg was made to Gen. Joseph Frye by the General Court of Massachusetts for his valiant services in the expedition against Louisburg, and as commander of a regiment at Fort William Henry on Lake George, in 1757. This grant made Mar. 3, 1762, gave Gen. Frye the privilege of
Unlike most of the wilderness of Maine, open grass laud were found in Fryeburg, offering excellent grazing pastures, but these intervals were not safe places for erecting homes. Lots were selected on the surrounding highlands and the first rude cabins of the pioneers were soon to be seen here and there dotting the landscape or
The large canning factory at Fryeburg village was built by Asa 0. Pike, who rented it to the Portland Packing CO. about thirty years ago. After Mr. Pike’s death his heirs sold the factory to Tobias L. Eastman who carried on the business until the fall of 1905, when he sold to the present owners,
Rev. Paul Coffin, D. D., of Buxton, visited this region in 1768, on a missionary journey “to Pigwacket” and was elaborately entertained at the mansion of Capt. Henry Young Brown and at the home of John Webster. At these and other places he delivered sermons, being the earliest ordained preacher, except Rev. Timothy Walker of
This corporation was chartered March 1, 1887, for the purpose of organizing for protection from fire. On the last day of the month an organizing meeting was held at which John C. Gerry was chosen clerk; Thos. C. Shirley, treasurer; Asa 0. Pike, Wm. Gordon and John Weston, assessors; and A. R. Jenness, F. L.
Clerks Richard Kimball, 1777-78; Capt. Joseph Frye, Jr.,1779- Paul Langdon, 1786-91; Joseph F. Swan, 1792-98; Wm. Russell, 1799-1801; Paul Langdon, 1802; John McMillan, 1803-06; Jos. F. Swan, 1807-08; Wm. Russell, 7 809-11; Paul Langdon, 1812; Wm. Russell, 1813; P. Langdon,1814; Wm. Russell 1815, Dec. 4, died; N. G. Jewett, Dec. 4, 1815; James Osgood, 1816-18;