ROBERT HUNTER: (d. 1734), Governor of New York and Jamaica, belonged to the family of Hunter of Hunterstin, Ayrshire (See Burke, “Landed Gentry,” 1886 ed.) Paterson describes him as one of the children of James Hunter, who was a son of the laird of that ilk, and married Margaret, daughter of the Rev. John Spalding
ROBERT HUNTER: (fl. 1750-1780), portrait painter, a native of Ulster, studied under the elder Pope, and had a considerable practice in Dublin about the middle of the eighteenth cen tury. He modelled his tone of colouring on the painting of old masters. His portraits were excellent likenesses, if not of the first rank in painting.
F150 WILLIAM HUNTER: Inherited the estates of Medomsley, which had been in the family since 1584. Died 1712. F151 ROBERT HUNTER: married 1715. F152 CUTHBERT HUNTER: m. 1749. F153 GEN. SIR MARTIN HUNTER: Governor of Sterling Castle; b. 1757. F154 MATTHEW DYSANT HUNTER: b. 1803. F155 MARTIN HUNTER: b. 1854.
ANNE HUNTER: (1742-1821), poetess, eldest daughter of Robert Home, surgeon, and sister of Sir Everard Home (q.v.); married in July 1771, John Hunter (q.v.) the great surgeon. Be fore her marriage she had gained some note as a lyrical poetess, her “Flower of the Forest” appearing in “The Lark,” an Edinburgh periodical, in 1765. Her
HENRY NOEL ALEXANDER HUNTER: D.S.O. 1918, the Queen’s Regt.; b. 1881; educ.: Temple Grove; Haileybury College. Served South African War, 1899-1902 (Queen’s medal and three clasps, King’s medal and two clasps); European War, 1914-18 (despatches, D.S.O., Bt. Lt.-Col.). Address: The Queen’s Royal Regiment, c/o Lloyd’s , 6 Pall Mall, S. W. 1.
CHRISTOPHER HUNTER: (1675-1757), physician and antiquary, born in July 1675, was the only son of Thomas Hunter, of Medonsley, Durham, by his second wife, Margaret Readshaw (Surtees, Durham, ii. 289). He was educated at the free grammar school of Kepyr in Houghton-le-Spring, Durham. In 1692 he was admitted pensioner of St. John’s College, Cambridge, and
RACHEL HUNTER: (1754-1813), novelist, born in London about 1754, married an English merchant resident in Lisbon, but after ten years of married life her husband died, and Mrs. Hunter returned to England. She took up her abode in Norwich either 1794 or 1795, and devoted herself henceforth to literary pursuits. She died at Norwich in
ADMIRAL CUTHBERT HUNTER: b. 10 March 1866; y.s. of late J. J. Hunter of The Grange, Whickham, Co. Durham; educ.: Eastman’s; H.M.S. Britannia. Joined as Naval Cadet 1879; passed out of H.M.S. Britannia as Midshipman, and 1st of the term; Lieut. 1887; served as Gunnery Lieutenant on staff of H.M.S. Commander, 1900; Captain, 1905; last
CANON EDWARD THOMAS GURNEY HUNTER: M.A.; Hon. C.F.; Surrogate of Diocese of Bradford; Rector of Keighley since 1919; member of Missionary Council Education Committee since 1924; Hon. Canon of Bradford, 1926; b. July 20, 1880; s. of Capt. James Edward Hunter, R.N., J.P.; educ.: St. Paul’s School; Trinity College, Oxford; Oxford House, Bethnal Green. Curate
G156 HENRY HUNTER: Merchant of London; b. 1634. G157 JOHN HUNTER: lived in Berkshire; d. 1714. G158 HENRY LANNOY HUNTER. G159 HUNTER. G160 SIR CLAUDIUS STEPHEN HUNTER: b. 1775; created Baronet, 1812. G161 JOHN HUNTER: b. 1798. G162 SIR CLAUDIUS STEPHEN PAUL HUNTER: 2nd Baronet. G163 SIR CHARLES RODERICK HUNTER: 3rd Baronet; b. 1858.