William Smith, a native of Hartford, Conn., immigrated to Williston, Vt., at an early date, where he married Anna Blanchard, and a few years later, about 1806, came to this town and located upon the farm now occupied by his grandsons, where he resided until his death, at the age of fifty-nine years. He had
This collection stems from a manuscript published by Hamilton Child in 1887 which provided a gazetteer for Lamoille and Orleans County. Within that manuscript was a brief history of each community, a directory of each community, and short biographical sketches of some of the leading citizens for each town.
Alva Judson, father of O. L. Judson of this town, was born and lived all his life, in Huntington, Vt., dying there at the age of sixty-five years. He married Phoebe Williams, who died in Hyde Park, aged seventy years. Three of their four children are now living, one, O. L., being a resident of
Barnabas Peck came to Wolcott in 1811, and located upon the farm now owned by C. C. Twiss. The first saw and grist-mill built in the town then stood on this farm. Mr. Peck reared a family of eleven children, and died in 1832, aged seventy-three years. Jera Peck now occupies the old homestead, aged
Israel Currier, from Corrinth, Vt., came to Wolcott about 1836, and located upon the farm he now occupies, on road 30. He built his present dwelling in 1851. His father, David, was a ship carpenter of Salisbury, Mass., and served in the Revolutionary war.
Levi Hodge, a native of Warwick, Mass., came to Stowe and located where his son, Russell C., now resides, and where he died in 1862, aged about seventy-five years. Russell C. is superintendent of the town poor farm, which is owned in union by the towns of Stowe, Morristown, and Johnson.
Moody Parker, a native of Lyman, N. H., born in 1785, came to Wolcott in 1821, where he resided until his death, in 1869, aged eighty-four years. Mr. Parker was at the battle of Plattsburgh, and held the office of sergeant. After the war he returned to Lyman and married Millicent Moulton, who is still
Merrill Andrus, from Orange county, Vt., came to Wolcott in 1839, and located on road 13, where his son, T. O. Andrus, now resides. He married Maria Lawrence, by whom he had eight children, three of whom, T. O. Andrus, Mrs. R. F. Parker, and Mrs. Eli Drury, are living. Mr. Andrus died in August,
Levi Parker, from Lyman, N. H., came to Wolcott in June, 1821, and purchased fifty acres of land on road i 1, where E. P. Dexter now resides. Here Mr. Parker resided until his death, in 1862, aged seventy-two years.
Joseph C. Bailey, a native of Berlin, Vt., married Miss Sally Gurley, of that place, and removed to Elmore in 1823, where he built a log house near the present residence of Philo Darling. About the year 1852, Mr. Bailey sold his farm to his sons, C. N. and Frank, and removed to Middlesex, where