The following 22 biographies were extracted from the History of the State of Kansas, 1883 and pertain specifically to Ford County. To view the entire history of Ford County, Kansas visit Ford County, Kansas History and Genealogy Ford County is the southwestern most organized county of Kansas, embracing Townships 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29
M. R. Draper, manager of the Dodge City branch of the York, Parker & Draper Mercantile Company. The company was incorporated under the laws of Missouri in 1881, with a paid-up capital of $150,000. Now have a surplus of $150,000. They deal in general merchandise and livestock, and carry a general average stock of merchandise
H. L. Sitler, came to Dodge City, Kans., in 1868, and engaged in freighting for the United States government, and contracting, until 1876. He then engaged in the stock business, and continued until 1882. He is one of the stockholders of the Dodge City Bank. He has since the spring of 1882, retired from business.
George S. Emerson, dealer in general merchandise, opened trade in Dodge City in the spring of 1880, and carried on the start a stock of $6,000. He now carries a stock of $14,000 and employs six clerks. He engaged in the stock business in 1876, establishing a ranch in Clark County; has since sold his
W. J. Spencer, clerk in dry goods house of Wright, Beverly & Co. He serves as shipping and receiving clerk. He came to Kansas in 1863 as a private of Company G, Second Colorado Cavalry and assisted to establish Fort Dodge. He enlisted in July, 1862, in Company I, Second Colorado Cavalry, and served one
Herman J. Fringer, Probate Judge and Assistant Cashier Bank of Dodge City. He also deals in a general stock of drugs and medicines. Opened drug trade in 1872, and carries a general stock of $4,000. He first came to Fort Dodge as Quartermaster’s clerk in 1867, and after some time clerked in a sutler store,
Henry Sturm, wholesale and retail dealer in all kinds of liquors. He also has a soda factory, where he manufactures all kinds of soda and mineral water and Champagne cider. The building cost $2000 and is 20×30 feet. He employs four men. He has a warehouse 20×75 foot, where he keeps a stock of Joseph
D. M. Frost, editor and proprietor of Ford County Globe, published at Dodge City, Kansas, established December 25, 1887. The paper is largely devoted to the livestock interests of the West, and the official organ of the Western Kansas Stock-Growers’ Association. Circulates largely among stockmen, and has a circulation of 700 copies per week. Mr.
M. W. Sutton, attorney at law, of the firm of Sutton & Wenie. Mr. Sutton first came to Wellington, Sumner Co., Kan., in May, 1872, and practiced law until December of same year, when he went to Medicine Lodge, Barber County, and continued his profession until June 1,1876, thence located permanently in Dodge City, where
Gaede, Baker & Co., dealers in a general line of fancy dry goods, clothing and gents furnishing goods and livestock. They opened trade January 1, 1882, and carry a stock of $6,000 and employ one clerk in the business. The individual names of the firm are Richard Gaede, H. C. Baker and S. H. Fields.