The first grand jury that ever sat in the county, was drawn in November, 1805, and was composed as follows: John Dixon, John Hewitt, Samuel Moore, John Corey, Peter Boyles, Jeremiah Riggs, Canaday Lowry, William Howlett, Robert Fulton, Alvan Bingham, Josiah Coe, Philip M. Starr. March Term, 1806.-Alvan Bingham, Hopson Beebe, John Thompson, Silas Dean,
County Commissioners from the Organization of the County. 1805 Silas Dean, William Howlett, John Curry-(At special election.) 1805 William Barrows, William Howlett, Samuel Moore-(At regular election.) 1806 Alvan Bingham, Bingham, Samuel Moore-(At regular election.) 1807 Alvan Bingham, Caleb Merritt, Samuel Moore-(At regular election. 1808 Alvan Bingham, Caleb Merritt, Ebenezer Currier. 1809 Asahel Cooley, Caleb Merritt,
The first constitution of Ohio provided for the election by the people of only two county officers, viz.: sheriff and coroner; other county officers were, during the first eighteen years of the state’s history, appointed by the county commissioners or by the associate judges of the respective counties. The office of county auditor was created
County Recorders. office. Recorded what volumes. Dr. Eliphaz Perkins, From 1806 to Jul. 1819, Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4 Chauncey F. Perkins, From July 1819 to May 1826, Nos. 4, 5. A. G. Brown, From May 1826 to Aug. 1833, Nos. 5, 6. Robert E. Constable, From Aug. 1833 to Nov. 1835, Nos. 6, 7.
County Sheriff’s. Robert Linzee, appointed April, 1805; Silvanus Ames, appointed November, 1807; Robert Linzee, appointed November, 1809; Thomas Armstrong, elected October, 1813; Isaac Barker, elected October, 1817; Jacob Lentner, elected October, 1821; Calvary Morris, elected October, 1823; Robert Linzee, elected October, 1827; John McGill, elected October, 1829; Amos Miller, elected October, 1831; Joseph Hewitt, elected
County Court. The first court of common pleas, July 8, 1805, consisted of Robert F. Slaughter, president judge, and Silvanus Ames and Elijah Hatch, associate judges. Henry Bartlett was appointed clerk. Since that time the following judges have acted: 1806-Levin Belt, president judge, and Silvanus Ames, Alexander Stedman, and Abel Miller, associate judges. In 1807,
County Treasurers. Alvan Bingham, appointed April, 1805; William Harper, appointed June, 1806; Ebenezer Currier, appointed June, 1807; Eliphaz Perkins, appointed March, 1808; William Harper, appointed June, 1809; Eliphaz Perkins,* appointed June, 1811; Amos Crippen, appointed June, 1815; Isaac Barker, appointed June, 1825, elected October, 1825; Amos Crippen, elected October, 1829; Isaac Barker, elected October, 1831;
Postmasters of Athens. Established in 1804. Jehiel Gregory from 1804 1 quarter Eliphaz Perkins 1804 till 1821 John Perkins 1821 1839 Amos Crippen 1839 1841 John Perkins 1841 1845 Amos Crippen 1845 1849 Wm. Loring Brown 1849 1853 R. DeSteiguer 1853 1858 Lot L. Smith 1858 1861 David M. Clayton 1861 1865 E. C. Crippen
On the 2nd of April, 1806, Rufus Putnam and Dudley Woodbridge were appointed a committee to conduct a second sale of town lots, which took place November 25, 1806. Some of the lots previously sold were sold again, payments having not been made. The following is the report of the second sale No. of lot.
At the first election for township officers in 1827, which was held at the house of William Bagley, James Price, James Bosworth, and Jeremiah Cass were judges of the election, and Samuel B. Johnson and Cyrus Tuttle, clerks. Township Trustees 1827-1868. 1827 William Bagley, James Bosworth, Solomon Newton. 1828 Jeremiah Cass, Elijah Alderman, Solomon Newton.